Sunday, August 28, 2011

SWEDEN



Hello all!
I'm sorry that I have not updated at all this week but it has been a ridiculously busy and crazy week here in Jonkoping. Upon saying that, yes; I am in Sweden and been in Jonkoping for a week. One of the main reasons why I wasn't able to update was that I didn't get the internet in my apartment till Tuesday, which was in the full swing of events and parties that were going on. Well then, why don't I start from the beginning of how I got here?
Waking up on Saturday morning, I was eager to get going and get to the airport, but not before much preperation needed to occur. I wrote my final goodbyes online at the local Starbucks near my apartment then finished the last of the packing for Sweden. Miraculously, I was able to fit everything into my bags, and this was a fine reminder of packing for going to university for the first time. What to pack for being away from home for 4 months? After that was completed, I was able to spend time with my roommate Matt and just hangout prior to the mad rush at the airport. It was weird saying goodbye to someone who I didn't know a year earlier, but I knew that it was someone I was going to greatly miss. My buddy Chris was kind enough to pick me up at the airport in the pouring rain and drive us to the airport. This made getting to the airport much easier, and faster. Arriving at O'Hare, I said my final goodbyes and went to the ticket counter to check in my bags. Not seeing the group I was suppose to meet with, I went ahead with checking my bags and going through the massive security line.
Waiting around for boarding, I was able to people watch and look at the aircraft that was going to take us across Canada and the Northern Atlantic Ocean. However, the thoughts of what was instore for me in Sweden were the main thing on my mind while waiting. Boarding the plane, I discovered that I was sitting with other North Park students, who were headed off to the undergrad program at SVF. The flight was uneventful- and I spent the entire time onboard watching episodes on my iPod and relaxing. Landing in Stockholm was a weird experience; the clouds were low and you didn't see the groud till we were literally 100 feet from the ground- and that is when I got my first look at the hills and tall trees in the distance and my first look of Sweden.
I was impressed by my first look of Sweden, with the tall trees and how natural it looked compared to the sights of O'Hare. I was also impressed how clean and efficient the airport was, which turns out to be a preview of the entire country. Getting off the plane though and going through customs, our group unfortunately had a long 7 hour layover between our flights to Stockholm and Gotemburg. Despite being tired and bored, this was a great opportunity to talk to some of the undergrads and catch a first glimpse of Sweden. Walking around the stores, I wuickly learned a few things about Sweden. One of the first is the currency in the country- if its smaller that 20 SEK its in the form of a coin. Secondly, the fashion sense in Sweden is WAY DIFFERENT than in the United States. Thirdly, there is an interesting mix of products in Sweden that are distinctly Swedish, then some that are clearly American. Lastly, the people conduct themselves differently then in the United States; as in they don't look at each other when sitting down, or start small talk with the person they are sitting next to if they don't know them, etc. Boarding the plane to Gotemburg, I got to do something I have never done before- walk out onto the tarmac and enter the aircraft from the rear stairwell.
The flight was a short 55 minutes in which I dozed off the majority of the time, but this soon ended with a flurry of rushing around and looking at sights I have never seen before. We met the second group (who left from Boston) at the airport and after picking up our luggage, we boarded buses and set out for Jonkoping, which was a mere hour away. The land was beautiful and it was great to be in a place filled with forests and hills again. Arriving in Jonkoping, the SVF students were dropped off at their campus first and me being the only grad student, would be dropped off on the Jonkoping University campus afterwards. Arriving on campus, I reported to the accomodation office which was located in a building called the student haus. The people there were very friendly and I was assigned to a building called Vilhelmsro (Vil - helm - sss - rrr - oo). I met a guy named Arnaud, who was from Belgium and an individual I would become friends with.
We both lived in the same building and were both driven to the building by a stduent who was helping out during "Kick Off Week." But arriving in at the building, it was discovered that I was accidently paired up with a female student from Japan. So- I had to go back and get my room changed. Arriving back at Vilhelmsro, I found out that I am living with a guy named Engueran, who is from the outskirts of Paris. Shortly after unpacking and saying hello to everyone, I went to bed and fell asleep immediately.
Speaking of sleep, I think I am going to go do that now. Being 1115 at night and a 730 wake up time for the first day of classes I'm looking forward to a great sleep. I will continue my story again soon. Love you all.
God Natt!
Andy Jones

No comments: